Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Ebates Coupons and Cash Back

Author Topic: Raptor Flip-Top Mod - 20A, 120W dc/dc converter...  (Read 5961 times)

Offline mamu

• View Profile
Raptor Flip-Top Mod - 20A, 120W dc/dc converter...
« on: December 27, 2013, 12:10:37 PM »
Got the Raptor Flip-Top mod done!  manOman - awesome vape beast!

I'm vaping with it now with my dual coil 1.5 ohm RBA at 4.7v.  Sweet vape! 

I had been vaping with it with a 0.8 ohm nano coil on an RDA at 3.5v and that was mighty sweet too!  But I hate dripping.  bleh.  But I loved the vape I was getting.  But I hate dripping.   :(

Voltage drop under load so far is none or 0.1.  Awesome!!

During testing I attached a 0.3 ohm coil and ran it at 5v (83W and 17A) and both converter and batts (30A Sony 18650) handled the load aok - and no, didn't take a toke off that.   :D

Converter powers off when the input voltage gets down to 6.2v - so can adjust the zener diode to a slightly lower voltage, but I'm fine with a cutoff of 6.2v so will leave as is.  Metering the batts, the dominant batt read 2.75v and the other read 3.44v.  So to drain both batts more evenly, need to switch batt positions when the input voltage gets down to around 7 volts (I had forgot to do that - boo on me lol).

Getting ready to close er up...

Takes 2, 18650 batts... yes - the batts are in series  ;) - I wired the batt contacts so both batts are oriented the same way...

Displays input voltage...

Displays output voltage... range 3.3v - 6v (the tolerances of the resister plus POT I'm actually getting 3.39v - 6.1v with this build) ...

109mm x 58mm x 31mm...

Parts list:
SoShine dual channel 18650 charger (fasttech)

Naos Rapter (NSR020A0X43Z) 20A, 120W DC/DC Converter (digikey, mouser)

Fire switch (PV5S64011) (digikey, mouser)

2x22uF capacitors wired in parallel (C3225X5R1C226K250AA) (digikey, mouser) or GRM32CF51C226ZA12L (digikey, mouser)

2x9A fuses wired in parallel (650-RGEF900) (digikey, mouser)

200 ohm POT (PT10MH01-201A2020) (mouser)

Shaft for 200 ohm POT (JPEPL5012NE or 5116) (mouser)

POT knob of your choice that accommodates the size of shaft you've chosen (if using a shaft, a knob is not necessarily required)

220 ohm and 7.5K ohm resisters, and 5.6v zener diode (various sites)

Mini 3-position slide switch (on/off/on) (I used Apem TG39P000000)

1S-6S voltage reader (ebay)

2x 18650 batts (recommend 30A discharge rating)

Wiring guide... I used 20ga for input/output/voltage reader, 22ga for the mini slide switch and POT...

Note1: do not attempt this build if you are not familiar with battery safety and electronics safety. If you attempt this build, you do so solely at your own risk.

Note2: if you do build this mod, do not bypass adding the external fuses - they protect you and the entire circuit from a potentially faulty or unstable battery.

Note3: if you do build this mod, do not bypass the zener diode - it provides a safe voltage cutoff of 6v. Without it, the voltage will go all the way down to the converter default of 4.1v unless the batt's undervoltage protection kicks in - but you can't always rely on that.

Note4: make note to switch batt positions at mid voltage range, or switch the lead batt to the non-lead batt after charging.

Note5: currently, the only batteries recommended for use in this mod are the Sony 18650 US18650VTC3 30A 1600mAh batts (most preferred) or the Orbtronic SX30 18650 30A 2100mAh.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2014, 07:43:01 PM by mamu »

Offline junquedujour

• 1K Member
    • View Profile
Re: Raptor Flip-Top Mod - 20A, 120W dc/dc converter...
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2013, 04:59:49 PM »
soooooooooooo, when are these going into production at the mamu factory?

Offline mamu

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2013, 05:18:46 PM »
LOL - never.  I don't want to be responsible for putting this much power in someone's hands and then them not choosing the right batts that must be used with this mod or them trying all sorts of funky stuff with this mod.  omg with that.   >:(

I made one for me and now Kenny wants one - he told me he was going to steal mine when I go to bed lololol.  So gots to make him one too.

Kenny's home from school for the holidays.  YAY!!!  Bummer it's only a few short weeks though.

Offline mamu

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2013, 02:24:35 PM »
Ive found 2 18650 batts that are aok with this mod.

Based on my testing, I would only recommend the Orbtronic SX30 18650 30A 2100mAh and the Sony 18650 US18650VTC3 30A 1600mAh.

Output varies between 0.0 and 0.1 voltage drop under load.  Input varies between 0.1 and 0.2 voltage drop under load with a cutoff of 6.2v unloaded and 6.0v loaded.

POS (piece of shit dont buy or use these lol) 18650 batts are the 30A Efest and 30A MNKE batts.  I highly doubt they are 30A as rated else the internal resistance is high.  Horrible horrible input/output voltage drop under load with a cutoff around 6.8v unloaded (drops to 6.0v loaded).

I did not test, or buy, the Samsung 30A 18650 batts cuz this batt needs a special charger, or a modded charger, that requires 4.35v to fully charge the batt.

Offline junquedujour

• 1K Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2013, 04:36:55 PM »
must be great having your son around the house again. savor it. the time goes much too fast.

thanks for the input on the batts. for some reason, i never had a warmfuzzy about the efest batts. i have absolutely nothing solid to base it on - just my intuition i guess ...

Offline mamu

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2014, 05:28:10 PM »
Update:  with using the on/off control pin on this Raptor board, there is no reverse polarity protection for the batts even with the fuses.  The board is protected, but not the batts.  Without using the on/off control pin, fuses protect the entire circuit including the batts, but the batts are not protected when using the on/off control pin.

Have tried various re-wiring.  Have got it so there is reverse polarity protection for the batts, BUT not if the fire button is pressed.  So that's no go.

Looking into wiring in a P-FET, so will update when I have done that.  Have the P-FET on order (thanks to Craig for recommendation on the part number!).

In the meantime, pay attention to correctly insert the batts!

Offline Kase

• SCF Poet Laureate
  • 1K Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2014, 05:33:54 PM »
Sending my Flip-Top in for upgrade  :D

Offline mamu

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2014, 06:18:52 PM »
HAHAHA

omg Kase - I got tears. Srsly you totally crack me up. :D

Offline mamu

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2014, 04:46:19 AM »
Reverse polarity protection for the Raptor... tested and good to go with protecting the batts if put in backwards and with no adverse effect on the circuit - voltage drop under load is the same with and without the P-FET.

Wiring in a P-FET:
Part # SI7157DP (many thanks to Craig for recommending the appropriate P-FET to use for this board - the P-FET I had used for reverse polarity protection for the DNA was no go with this board and I'd prob still be searching for the right one  :cheesy: many many thanks for sharing, Craig!!)

S: Vin
D: Batt +
G: Batt -

1.  This is a teeny tiny smd part and needs mounted.  I used a 3x4 piece of veroboard and removed areas of  copper as shown below...

2.  Solder the source (green wire), drain (red wire), and gate (black wire) on the veroboard by inserting the bare wire end from the underside of the veroboard in the appropriate edge hole and sliding the wire though to the top, apply flux to the bare wire end, then apply solder to the iron and swipe across the wire including the copper traces connected to that wire...

3.  Position the P-FET in place, apply flux to all pins, then solder to the board - line up the gate pin (orient toward the black wire) and solder it first, then apply solder to the tip of the iron and swipe it across the 3 source pins (toward the green wire) making sure you don't solder the gate pin to the source pins, then apply solder to the iron and swipe it across the 4 drain pins (toward the red wire)... make sure the 3 source pins and the 4 drain pins have connecting solder and that the gate pin remains isolated from the source pins...

4.  Insert shrink tube over the P-FET and apply heat...

Updated wiring for reverse polarity protection...

Offline mamu

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2014, 01:05:12 PM »
I have tested both the smd P-FET that Craig recommends and the leaded P-FET sphearion is using.  There is no adverse effect on the input/output from the converter or voltage loss from either one - both do an excellent job of protecting the batts and circuitry for reverse polarity. 

Craig's is the better choice and has the lower RDS(on), but if you have trouble with soldering smd the leaded one will be a good substitute and is much easier to work with.

Here are the specs for each:
Si7157DP (smd)
Drain to Source Voltage (Vdss) - 20V
Current - Continuous Drain (Id) @ 25C - 46.5A (Ta)
Rds On (Max) @ Id, Vgs - 1.6 mOhm @ 25A, 10V
Vgs(th) (Max) @ Id - 1.4V @ 250A
Gate Charge (Qg) @ Vgs - 625nC @ 10V
Input Capacitance (Ciss) @ Vds - 22000pF @ 10V
Power - Max - 6.25W

SUP75P03-07-E3 (leaded)
Drain to Source Voltage (Vdss) - 30V
Current - Continuous Drain (Id) @ 25C - 75A (Tc)
Rds On (Max) @ Id, Vgs - 7 mOhm @ 30A, 10V
Vgs(th) (Max) @ Id - 3V @ 250A
Gate Charge (Qg) @ Vgs - 240nC @ 10V
Input Capacitance (Ciss) @ Vds - 9000pF @ 25V
Power - Max - 3.75W
Mounting Type - Through Hole

SpaceCiggysForum

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2014, 01:05:12 PM »

Enterprise © Bloc
Page created in 0.155 seconds with 16 queries.